Thursday, August 2, 2018

Lilly Pulitzer Dorm Coaster DIY

Hey y'all! I'm here to share a fun DIY post, as well as a bit of an update.

First with the life update: This fall (more like starting next week) I will be attending the University of Alabama as a freshman. Although I haven't been very active on my blog and instagram lately, I wanted to hop on here and share some of my advice and experiences. 

As I have prepared for college, I have found so much advice online but there are still so many things to find out. Because of this I decided to start blogging again to share some things I learn. I plan to post DIYs, a sorority recruitment look book, random favorites, and travel experiences. If we're being honest though, I'm not quite sure how it'll go being a freshman in college :)

One thing I wanted to share was a tutorial on how to make these Lilly Pulitzer modge podge coasters. I knew I had seen them, but I could not find a tutorial on how to actually make them so I am here today to share that. 

Here is what you will need:

 Plain white tiles, modge podge, Lilly Pulitzer agenda and/or catalogs, foam brushes, gold paint, small paint brushes, cork board, low odor gloss sealant 

The first thing I did was take gold paint and a tiny paint brush to paint the edges. This is totally optional but I think it made it look more finished. Don't worry about being too neat because the paint will be covered on top with the paper pieces. 


Next, I traced the shape of the tile onto a piece of cork board and cut it out. I cut inside of the lines so it would be a little smaller than the tile. I used hot glue to attach it to the back. This will keep the coaster from sliding around. 


Now for the fun part! Because of the small size of the coasters and need for straight edges I felt a bit overwhelmed and had no clue where to start. What I ended up doing was going through my old Lilly Pulitzer planners and picking out four of my favorite quotes from the beginning of the month pages. Then I picked one or two patterns for each coaster to match the colors of the quote.


I found that the monthly calendar had great pieces to use for the edges. Make sure when you're cutting out pieces that you leave some straight to go along the edges. 


Once all of my pieces were ready, I used my modge podge and foam brush to adhere the quotes to the center of the tile. After that it was a free for all of fitting things together.  I just used a single coat of modge podge on the back of each paper and stuck it onto the coaster. I started at the corners and moved out from there. For the coasters that I used two prints for I tried to have a good mix between the two throughout. 


Here is my southern charm and flamingo coaster in progress. I really tried hard not to worry about making it look too perfect because you can always cover up your mistakes with another piece. Try to vary the shapes and sizes of the pieces you use.


And then you just repeat the process until the tiles are fully covered. Once the coasters were fully covered, I waited 15 minutes for everything to set and then covered the whole thing in modge podge. Make sure you cover the edges as well so there are no pieces sticking off of the side. Then wait 15 minutes, repeat, wait another 15 minutes, and repeat again. Once the third coat is dry, apply sealant to the top. This will protect the coasters from water and other things.


Here is my finished product. I absolutely love how they turned out and can't wait to use them in my dorm room! Thanks for stopping by. 






No comments:

Post a Comment